Wednesday, January 25, 2006

"parvathon ki goad maine dhoondtha phira,
suna tha maine kahaniyon mein, tu milega yahan...

teri khoj mein, teri khoj mein,
teri khoj mein, mein chala.."


This song is about a man in search of God in the mountains far and
wide for he heard in stories centuries ago that he could find him
there... the search continues.

Years ago, when I was a confused teen(still confused, no more a teen),I questioned the existence of God,the almighty, the creator/destroyer,the supreme, Yahweh-whatever you want to call him,her or it. Almost everybody in this world worship some form of God, Hindus: the trinity; Muslims: Allah; Christians:The Father,Son and the Holy Ghost, Parsis: Ahura Mazda etc. The common thread in all of this is, that no one has ever seen or heard God. Tomorrow, I tell the world God spoke to me in my dreams and these are his words, will anyone believe me? will I be able to spread the word of God through my mouth?will there be a new religion in my name? or will i be sent to an asylum?, that is not the point here, there is NO proof of the existence of this mystical being, then again when you do a scientific experiment , the scientist is not looking to prove his hypothesis, he is merely testing whether his claim is consistent over a period of time. With this I can say God and science are one and the concept of God is solely on a person's belief or bias. A group of scientists/authors, Andrew Newberg, M.D., Eugene D'Aquili, M.D., and Vince Rause, researched this strong irrational attraction between humans and God and religious practices. They claimed people seek God because our brains have been genetically wired to do so.

Whether or not God is just an electrical impulse or he really exists doesn't matter. In my opinion, questioning the existence of God is futile. Siddhartha Gautama, went to seek enlightenment,to seek God and during his penance he had a revelation, we don't know if he saw God and he says, why worry about whether God is or not when you can be who you are and be a good human. He says, life is to live and it is laid with obstacles and few successes and it is how you look at your obstacles that will lead you to success or otherwise. People talk about going to hell or heaven? is there anything like that? Is there a such place after death? I believe that heaven and hell is right here on earth, we live it. You make hell with negativity and heaven with positive light, God has nothing to do with it. Buddhism describes that after liberation we merge with a ever-growing ball of energy,that is the supreme power.

I've met God, I've have felt that power in mysterious I will tell you one account of that. Couple of years ago, on a holiday, i went shopping with my friends and we were trying out clothes in the dressing room. I burst out crying for some reason I was suicidal, my best friend tried to calm me down and I kept crying saying I didn't want to live anymore. We were searching for a napkin to wipe my tears and when I reached into my purse, I found a notepad,that i had never used. I was about to tear one of its pages and when I opened it, I saw a writing , and it said "No matter what , I am always with you, you are beautiful", I never wrote that, or maybe I did long ago,but at that time, I felt like God was making a connection and I thought it was incredible. It may sound really silly and cliched, but God does work in mysterious ways, we just have to be more aware of ourselves and the world around us.

There is something else I want to a address. Christianity preaches that, faith in Jesus will save us from our sins, Islam demands that if you devote yourself to Allah you will go to heaven and Hindus say that if we do good,our karma will out weigh the bad and we will be liberated and not suffer rebirth. I appreciate people who do great things in the name of God. But why do it for someone else? Why do people believe that they should good to reach God or be saved? Do good for humanity, do good for the joy if it, do good for that smile on another persons face, don't do it because your motives are not pure. The bottom line is that God exists is and in everything. God is being and doing, good or bad, action and reaction.

“Ask not what God can do for you, ask what you can do with him”

References:
Andrew Newberg, M.D., Eugene D'Aquili, M.D., and Vince Rause
"Why god Wont Go Away"

*~*~*~*~*~*Divya Manjunath~*~*~*~*~*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home